Tuesday 2 September 2008

Brilliant Nonsense & Voyeurism!


How I wish I could piously claim I fill my days with more worthy activities than following the life of a bunch of wannabes in the luxurious prison that is the Big Brother Africa 3 house. But alas, being a mere mortal, I know the cast by name and more.

I know that Ricco has lived in four countries on two continents; I know Morris is a photographer, a film maker in the making, and maybe Munya might want to remain on friendly terms with this director in-waiting, seeing that Munya has a passionate, consuming dream of gracing the big screen. Not a far fetched dream, if the fervour in his voice is anything to go by – of course he is a fine specimen too. Sheila was a TV journalist – what a fitting profession for a chatter box! I know Thami is a scholar of Chinese Mandarin – not a bad choice considering China’s growth and we may all have to track that way for jobs. Of course Thami would know- he is an Economics scholar too. I know Tawana is the opinionated, outspoken, goat farmer – a scientist, phew! young women are finally getting it! Of course the bold head is already a statement! Dare me ....................

Phew! So much for someone who in some circles claims they don’t watch TV, let alone reality nonsense!

Entertainment or psychology experiment? Unethical? Sadistic? Callous? Immoral? Whatever! That debate has raged on for a long time, and I opted out of the Psychology major – so am ill qualified to add to it!

However what I know for sure (Thanks Oprah for the catchy phrase!), yes, what I know for sure is:

Some Endemol shareholder is and has been laughing all the way to their banker for many a season;And
I have spent many a sleepless night, and wasted air time discussing the strategies, the gossip, with learned colleagues, who ironically do not own TVs and prefer to spend their evenings adding to their intellect, reading economic magazines, BUT they know who Big Brother sent to the sin – bin! Truth is stranger than fiction – isn’t it!

But one detail, from me though - I swear, I don’t do shower hour, and know nothing of sleeping arrangements - that would make me a voyeur - wouldn’t it?! Brilliant Nonsense!

No comments:

Post a Comment