Saturday 23 August 2008

Red shoes and hindsight


The 90`s would have been a decade of gaieties, celebrating thin waists, smaller behinds, beautiful, youthful faces that could be worn in public with no air-brushing. I would have known that the boobs would sag, weight gain would mark the passage of time, that stretch marks would herald motherhood and concealers would become a permanent feature of one’s wardrobe. If I knew then, my teens would have been one long dance, completely secure in my own skin.

I would have known that life is not necessarily a competition, showing up, taking part, doing my best would carry the day. I would have known that college is a time of exploration, discovery, of experimentation. I would have sat in the student bar, sipped a beer, a coffee, had fantastic, stimulating scholarly conversations with those intelligent, charming minds; And still not flunked out.

I would not have waited up for Mr Dodgy’s phone calls that never arrived. I would have known that I would not live to be an old maid so didn’t need the twenty seven cats. I would have known that I would convince one to walk down the aisle and so would not have worried about the ones that got away.

I would have known that after a night of mourning, morning does arrive and tears do dry.

I would not have been insecure about my shoes or lack thereof, I would have known that fortunes do change, and one day I would own a pair of red shoes, red shoes, yes, red shoes – unbelievable!

6 comments:

  1. Enchanting, refreshing and well constructed article, leaves me gasping for more...definitely a story behind this..can we get more
    --Rayza

    ReplyDelete
  2. only 2 posts into your blog and I am already hooked.

    I can't wait to read more of your words.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you folks. Will continue writing, keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes you wake uyp to smell the coffee of life,dance more and realise this is the final act and not a rehearsarl.truly lovely and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbs

    Hey this is livening us who find themselves in the same situation like yourself. I learned this morning that you were demob from the camp as of 2day and never had chance to say goodbye.
    Adios me and u will be friends for ever and keep up the good work. Ndala

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had read this 5 years back, life would have been different. Something for my kids to read and know and take with them everywhere they go. Thank you for the refreshing words.

    ReplyDelete